Sunday, March 20, 2011

God and Guns

So a lapsed Catholic and a Pastor walk into a coffee shop.  The beginning of a politically incorrect joke?

Probably.  But in this case, it's just another day in my dating world.

We met at a little place called Stir Crazy on Melrose.  I ordered my usual - hot chocolate.  It basically came in a pot and it was delicious.  The little cafe was filled with people and their macs but more cozy than pretentious.

This guy was definitely the hottest pastor I have ever met.  I don't really know what that says, but he was cute.  Even the pierced eyebrow didn't bother me.  It was the "what do you think of my bro, Jesus?" that kinda caught me off guard.

I pointed out that he has a big month coming up.

Pastor was incredibly nice with good taste in music, but I was so self conscious about what I was saying that I didn't really feel like I could be myself.

Am I allowed to curse?  Is he going to ask me when was the last time I went to church?  Should I keep the coat hanger jokes to myself?

So then I started to over compensate.  I talked way too much.  This time it was me who was vomiting words.  I knew what I was doing and I just couldn't stop.

I want to go back in time and duct tape my mouth shut.  Oh well, moving on.

This weekend I went bar hopping in Downtown LA for the first time.  Initially, the idea was to go and test out some theories on how to get a guy to approach you.  E.G., S.T., and myself were particularly interested in testing out the positioning, mirroring, and staring (actually holding eye contact) methods.

Turns out, we had an addition of some lovely friends including a few guys, and as we know, it's usually more difficult to pick up guys when you're with a bunch of them.  So we just stuck to drinking.

Don't get me wrong, I was definitely looking, but honestly, there really wasn't much to look at.
We started at Bar Centro in Beverly Hills for some sea salt air and cotton candy mixed with our alcohol.  Old, plastic, and possibly transgendered is the best way I can think to describe that experience.

Then we jumped in the car and headed east.  First bar we actually made it into was the Library Bar.  It was a bit on the smaller side but had couches and bookshelves with real, removable books!
From there we went to Public School which had menus in the style of composition books.  I tried to step out of my comfort zone with a dark coconut, vanilla, coffee beer.  It would have taken me two hours to finish it, I had to take such little sips.  

So much for experimenting.
We ended the night at The Association, an unmarked bar next to Cole's on 6th street.  Loud, decent music.  A bit more swanky than the previous bars.  Probably would have been the best place to test out our theories had we been there earlier and sans male friends.

I have to admit that even if we were able to do a little boy scouting, I was distracted.  Earlier that day, I had experienced quite possibly the Best.  Date.  Ever.

It was a second date which was planned during our first date.  I give him credit, that was an impressive move.  Fuck the 3 day waiting game.  

During our first date he asked me if I wrote.  I told him I kinda wrote a dating blog.  He laughed and asked, "Is that was this is?"

No, no, no.  Unless you're a retard.  Then yes.

I told him that I really only write about the more negative of my experiences.  He asked why and I said that the positive experiences were less entertaining.

He said, "Or just more romantic."

I wanted to laugh and make some sarcastic remark, but I stopped myself, looked at him, genuinely smiled, and said, "or just more romantic."

A week later he picked me up and we went to LA Gun Club.  This was a huge first for me, I was so nervous and it was so obvious.  He was amazingly patient when teaching me how to load and shoot.

Hint hint - guys, this is a great idea for a date.  

As long as the girl isn't a pussy.

At first I jumped every time a gun went off, then I was just blinking for every shot.  My first shot went right through the middle of the target's throat.  

Suck it!  Oh wait, you can't, I just fucked up your throat, bitch.

That was pretty awesome.  My new goal is to become a marksman.

When we were done, he asked me if I wanted to accompany him to a dog's birthday party.  

Yeah, his guess was as good as mine.  This was a first for both of us.  It was as ridiculous as it sounds.  Like a Discovery Zone for dogs.

Apparently, I was able to contain some of my social awkwardness because a third date was planned before the end of the day.

It feels different with him.  Maybe because he is a few years older.  He's got his shit together.  The perfect mix of intelligence and humor, of maturity and immaturity.  In only two dates he's already picked up on so many of my idiosyncrasies and isn't intimidated.

Yet.

He touches my hand and I stop breathing.  I can't think about him without smiling or my stomach tightening.

Could this go up in flames?  Hell yeah.  But isn't this the part, right here, that dating is all about?  The excitement and anticipation of getting to know someone?  Saying goodbye and already looking forward to seeing them again?  I think so.

I wouldn't exactly call this romantic yet, but it sure is positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment