Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year

I think it's safe to say that we're all ready to move on from 2010, some maybe a little more than others.  Fortunately, I escaped this year with very little drama.  THANK GOD last New Year's Eve didn't set the tone for the rest of the year, then I would have been screwed.  I'm talking "'just the tip' turns into a fist full of thunder beads up the ass" screwed.

Not that that happened.  I swear.

For NYE this year, I'm headed back to San Diego and with no intention of repeating last year's events.  Though, I'm sure I didn't have those intentions then either.  Oh well, live, learn, and then tell the embarrassing stories.
I promised updates, so here we go.  Thomas, the guy from the Mandrake, was nice.  Nothing particularly wrong with him, but I felt no connection.  It was really awesome when I went to hug him goodbye and he forced a kiss instead.  I didn't kiss back.  Uh, it was weird.  Like if your brother tried to kiss you on the lips or something.

Not that that has happened to me either.

He introduced me to Bigfoot West.  Ladies, the guy to girl ratio here is incredible.  Just passing that knowledge along.

For the next couple days he would text me, but not until after 11:30pm.  So great, you're interested, but hi, there's a whole 14 hours before that when attempted communication would seem more appropriate.

It gave me a better excuse to ignore him.

Now another guy, Brian, was a bit more interesting.  Extremely sarcastic so we got along just fine.  Well, that is until I realized he was sarcastic 98% of the time.  It seemed like he was so afraid to say something that I might not like that he decided not to say anything real at all.

Where's the fun in agreeing with someone all the time?  A couple should have interesting debates over different view points once in awhile.

It leads to intense sex.  So I hear.

After this realization, it was really hard for me to talk to him.  I mean, I love sarcasm.  But not when its overuse keeps me from getting to know anything about someone.

And go figure, the kid is a total loner.

I need someone who has their own thing going so I don't have to supply all the entertainment.  The only reason I would have dated him is because I felt sorry for him.

Brilliant.

That goodbye was even more fantastic than the one with Thomas.  I drove Brian to his car.  We hugged and then I moved all the way against my door and waited for him to get out.  He started to lean toward me again and then backed off saying, "Is that all I'm going to get."

Yep.

The saving grace of the date was that we ate at the Library Alehouse.  Jerk chicken with mango salsa, fried plantains, and sweet potato fries.  Delicious.  So glad that thinking about it has now made me hungry at 1:30am.
Dear male friends, this is a great place for a date, especially if you sit in the back patio area.  Trust me.

Last, and probably least, there was Brandon.  An incredibly wealthy and accomplished doctor who wanted to take to me Koi on our first date.

Maybe I'm retarded, but the thought of meeting someone for the first time at a relatively expensive restaurant makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

I don't want to feel obligated to like someone just because they dropped over $100 on our first night out.

Then, using a little thing called the internet, I did some research and found out the guy "misrepresented" his age and appearance.

Why do guys (and girls) on dating sites do this?

Do they enjoy catching that flash of disappointment from their date when she (he) sees that the person definitely used their most flattering pictures from 10 years ago?

I.  Don't.  Get.  It.

I cancelled on him faster than it takes me to say yes to hot chocolate. ??

So with 2011 just a few days away, I've decided to set my expectations for the year low.

I want to play paintball for the first time.  I want to camp at Yosemite.  I want to improve my 1/2 marathon time.

I want to be able to play most Rock Band songs on hard.  I want to go fishing.  I want to read more books.

I want to finally get my glasses fixed so they actually stay on my face. I want to eat from all the awesome food trucks.
I want to strengthen relationships with friends and family, even if I have to bribe with bacon.

I want to know if I should lease another VW or just buy the one I have now.

Off-topic.

I want to have fun, learn, grow, forget what I learned, fuck up, laugh, hug, and smile.

Damn, the expectations bar is already too high.


Happy 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment