Wednesday, June 23, 2010

East v West

I've done some bar hopping since I've been back in the Lehigh Valley and let me tell you, it's a bit different than the L.A. scene.  Not that anyone would be surprised, but I tend to forget there's a whole other world outside of California.

Now, I haven't gone to these bars with the intention of talking to "men" because I've been in the company of all my guy friends.  I don't have any douchebag quotes or awkward situations to share, which is unfortunate for both you and me, but give me next weekend back in L.A. and I'm sure I'll have something for you.

I have to be honest, it was nice to be around "average" people.  I don't mean this in an offensive way, though I'm pretty sure that's how it comes across.

Oh well, deal.

I could throw on jeans and a shirt and not wonder if I'm appropriately dressed.  Leave your pretension at the door.  It didn't matter which one of the guys I was sitting with at the bar, I was comfortable.

The clothing, purse, shoes, car, label, label, label competition is practically non-existent and it's so fucking refreshing.  Bartenders take the time to talk to everyone because they are interested in stories, not your designer jacket.

I realize I'm making a lot of blanket statements.  I'm sure there are some good guys hiding out in L.A. and there are definitely assholes in Allentown, but the proportions are just a tad different.

If only cities could draft and trade single men like the NFL.

My nights with the east coast guys reminded me to spend my time with those who are worth it and those who appreciate it.

Wasting my time with the wrong guys at a bar on a Saturday night may still be acceptable for entertainment purposes, but in "real life" I'm cutting that shit out.

I lied, there was one awkward situation.  I shared my New Years Eve story with the boys while at the diner one night.  Pretty sure they never expected to hear anything like it out of my mouth, but I love them for not looking at me differently.  Sigh.  Saying goodbye to them always breaks my heart.

This weekend I head to Penn State for an amazing wedding.  As a single maid of honor, this could be interesting.  Or not.  I'm flipping a coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment